Writing * Editing * Tutoring
* Writing and editing in a wide range of enterprise arenas, including for-profit, non-profit, and education.
* Individualized tutoring in English, writing, and reading, pre-school through adults.
How a writer became a teacher.
Word by Word
I love to write. And I love to teach. So I happily wear both hats.
I first put on my writer/editor hat more than thirty years ago, and I have been generating and sharpening written content ever since, freelance and as a staffer and executive in for-profit, non-profit, and education.
Along the way, people began asking me to teach them to write, and to read, and to do both in English as a second language. So I put on another hat, and I've never taken it off.
Highly personal focus.
As a writer and editor, I succeed only when your project succeeds. As a tutor, I succeed only when your student succeeds.
A feel for words. Memos to marketing. Ghostwriting to grantwriting.
Full range of applications from a writer with more than thirty years of staff and upper-management experience. I have led organizations as president of a private company and as executive director of a nonprofit organization. I know how to convey the message of an enterprise.
A sharp eye and a sharp pencil. Copy to content. Brochures to books.
Full range of editing services from a highly collaborative, unreconstructed grammar geek and stickler for detail. I stop only when you feel both the spirit and the letter of your project are exactly right.
A love for learning. Pre-K through adults, including English learners. In person and online.
English. Writing. Reading.
* Fifteen years of tutoring experience, privately and in public-school classrooms, individually and in groups.
* Particular emphasis on SAT/ACT preparation and college-application personal statements.
* Extensive collaboration with teachers, school administrators, school-board members, and colleagues in the East Bay education community.